Radiology Coding Specialist
The Coding Specialist for Interventional Radiology will be responsible for reading operative reports and procedure notes and assigning ICD-10-CM diagnosis code(s) and CPT procedure codes for all physician billing and all OP hospital interventional radiology and endovascular cardiology procedures.
Essential Job Functions:
- Reviews operative reports and procedure notes.
- Assigns appropriate ICD-10-CM diagnosis code(s), CPT procedure codes and modifiers using coding conventions, guidelines and payor specific requirements.
- Abstract and compile data from medical records for appropriate optimal reimbursement
- Works actively with physicians to initiate corrections and resolve discrepancies in coding and documentation.
- Works collaboratively with physicians to assure accurate and timely submission of claims.
- Provides regular communication and education to providers and other clinical teams as indicated.
- Acts in the capacity of liaison to providers, managers and other coding team members as the expert in interventional radiology and endovascular cardiology.
- Ensures that all charges are submitted accurately and in a timely manner.
- Works collaboratively with Compliance Auditors to identify trends, billing opportunities and physician education needs.
- Resolves all questions, problems and patient disputes with third party payors, billing coordinators, compliance auditors, external billing company and denials management team that pertain to interventional radiology and endovascular cardiology services.
- Performs job junctions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High School Diploma required. Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred.
- Certified Interventional Radiology Cardiovascular Coder (CIRCC) Certification is required.
- Requires 5 years’ experience in interventional radiology endovascular cardiology coding.
- Pediatric experience preferred.
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of CPT and ICD-10-CM coding.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of medical record practices, standards, regulations, Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Organizations (JCAHO) and Illinois Medicaid coding and reporting requirements.
- Demonstrates understanding of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology and coding classification systems and can apply this knowledge in determining appropriate physician coding.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate effectively with providers, co-workers and managers.
- Demonstrates the ability to work independently and balance multiple priorities.
- Demonstrates the ability to use multiple types of computer software (i.e., Word, Excel, EPIC, 3M, SharePoint, etc.).